TUCSON – Congressman Raúl M. Grijalva (D-AZ) is now welcoming entries for the 2017 Congressional Art Competition. This competition gives students grades 9-12 who live in Arizona’s 3rd Congressional District the chance to win a trip to Washington, D.C. to watch their artwork be hung in the U.S. Capitol for the next year.
Key dates to keep in mind:
- Monday, May 8th: All original artwork is due to Rep. Grijalva’s Tucson office by 5 pm.
- Tuesday, May 9th: Rep. Grijalva will announce the winner at a reception at the El Pueblo Neighborhood Center.
- Thursday, June 29th: The winner and one guardian will be flown to Washington, D.C. for the official ribbon cutting ceremony.
- Students submitting artwork must live in Congressional District 3.
- Each entry must be original in concept, design and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws.
- The artwork must adhere to the policy of the House Office Building Commission, which makes clear that exhibits depicting subjects of contemporary political controversy or sensationalistic or gruesome nature are not allowed.
- Artwork must be 2 dimensional and no larger than 26 in. wide x 26 in. tall x 4 in. thick.
- Accepted media types: paintings, drawings. Collage, prints, mixed media, computer-generated art, and photography.
- All artwork must be saved as a PDF, PNG or JPEG.
- All artwork must be accompanied by the student’s information release form.
How to submit artwork:
- Submit via mail or bring it to our office at 101 W. Irvington Rd. Building 4 Tucson, AZ 85714.
- Submit a scanned copy of original artwork saved as a PDF, PNG, or JPEG format. Email scanned artwork to Cassandra.Becerra@mail.house.govOR Nathaniel.Sigal@mail.house.gov.
Please feel free to email the above contacts or call Rep. Grijalva’s office at 520-622-6788 with any questions.