TUCSON, Ariz. – Rep. Raul M. Grijalva announced the opening of the Fiscal Year (FY) 2023 Community Project Funding Portal for Arizona’s Third Congressional District. Under guidelines issued by the House Appropriations Committee, each Representative may request funding for up to 15 projects in their community for FY 2023 – although only a handful may be funded. The deadline for submissions to Rep. Grijalva’s office is Sunday, April 10, 2022.
“I encourage qualified organizations to apply for Community Project Funding to address the most pressing issues of Arizona’s Third Congressional District,” said Rep. Grijalva. “I look forward to reviewing project proposals that will support underserved areas, foster economic development and make a real difference in our community.”
To ensure projects are a good use of taxpayer funds, the House Appropriations Committee has established a number of requirements. The Committee has banned Community Project Funding for for-profit recipients and has mandated that non-profit entities must provide documentation of their 501(c)(3) status. Requesting entities must ensure that these projects are shovel ready. Further, all projects must demonstrate strong evidence of community support, such as:
- Letters in support of the project from elected community leaders
- Press articles highlighting the need for the requested Community Project Funding
- Support from editorial boards of local newspapers
- Documentation that projects are listed on state or local use plans, community development plans, or other publicly available planning documents, including State Improvement Plans or Metropolitan Improvement Plans, or
- Resolutions passed by city councils or school boards.
Projects are restricted to a limited number of federal funding streams, and only state and local governments and eligible non-profit entities are permitted to receive funding. Funding may not be allocated until several months following passage and enactment of the funding laws. Additional information on the parameters of the Community Project Funding are available here.
Rep. Grijalva’s 2023 Submission Portal is open here.